Welcome to the website of my Art. I hope that you enjoy the paintings and please let me know what you think about them. The site is constantly being updated so please keep coming back. My studio in Holmfirth is always open, so if you would like to visit, please contact me to arrange a suitable time. I have lots of pieces on display.
I was educated at Moseley Road Art school in Birmingham from the age of eleven although I knew I wanted to paint from the age of seven. Sadly, the Art school no longer exists although it was an amazing school, council run and part of a long tradition in Birmingham of arts and crafts education.
Many of my subjects are landscapes from the Holme Valley in Yorkshire, Europe and Africa. Places I have been to and enjoyed. I also paint still lifes, animals, nudes and portraits.
I try to find a balance between what I see and what I paint using mainly inks and dyes, which give delicious vibrancy. The inks are emulsion, shellac or water based and I tend to use mainly Diamine inks and Dr. Martins as well as dye. The intensity of the inks and dyes work better for the feelings and sensations that the subject provokes, more appropriate than a palette of drab greys. The paper I use tends to vary although I favour Bockingford, Moulin du Roy and Khadi paper for its lovely texture.
All prices are unframed and without courier and insurance. I ship my work to the U.S., Europe and Australia as well as all over the UK so getting a quote to you is straightforward.
- Bretton Hall College-1979
- Batley School of Art & Design-1980
- Tulley House Museum, Carlisle-1994
- The Mill Arts Centre, Oxfordshire 2001
- GCL Holmfirth-2011
- Dadabar Sheffield 2012
- Willowtree Gallery Holmfirth 2012
- Clocktower Sheffield 2012
- Holmfirth Vineyard 2013
- Dewsbury Museum 2014
- Joe Cornish Gallery 2014
- The White Room (York) 2014
- Gallery 6 (Huddersfield Art Gallery)
- Purple Gallery (Birmingham)
- Blossom Street Gallery. York
- The Calder gallery
- Magnetic North
- Foxtail Gallery
- Hope Art Gallery
- Pieces in private collections in the U.S., Australia and Europe.
- Private and organisational commissions including Kuretake UK.
- Moseley Art School, Birmingham (1969-75)
- Wolverhampton Polytechnic (1975-76)
- Bretton Hall College (University of Leeds) (1976-79)
A: 142 Woodhead Road, Holmbridge, Holmfirth HD92NL
T: (01484) 687316