Welcome to the website of my paintings. I hope that you enjoy the works and please let me know what you think about it. It is constantly being updated so please keep coming back.
I was educated at Moseley Road Art school in Birmingham from the age of eleven although I knew I wanted to paint from the age of seven. The Art school sadly no longer exists and it was an amazing school, council run and part of a long tradition in Birmingham of arts and crafts education.
Many of my subjects are landscapes from the Holme Valley in Yorkshire, Europe and Africa. Places I have been to and enjoyed. I also paint still lifes, animals, nudes and portraits.
I try to find a balance between what I see and what I paint using mainly inks and dyes, which give delicious vibrancy. The inks are emulsion, shellac or water based and I tend to use mainly Diamine inks and Dr. Martins, alongside Pentel and Kuretake brush pens which use dye. The intensity of the inks and dyes work better for the feelings and sensations that the subject provokes, more appropriate than a palette of drab greys. The paper I use tends to vary although I favour Bockingford 300gsm rough and NOT and Khadi 320gsm paper for its lovely texture.
Most of the pieces here are marked POA due to fluctuations in prices (in the past year the prices for my pieces has risen on average by 10%). However, in response to many queries, I have now priced all of the paintings. All prices are unframed and without courier and insurance. I will shortly have a paypal button so that buyers can easily and conveniently pay and once I have the order and address details I can email you the carriage costs.
- Bretton Hall College-1979
- Batley School of Art & Design-1980
- Tulley House Museum, Carlisle-1994
- The Mill Arts Centre, Oxfordshire 2001
- GCL Holmfirth-2011
- Dadabar Sheffield 2012
- Willowtree Gallery Holmfirth 2012
- Clocktower Sheffield 2012
- Holmfirth Vineyard 2013
- Sound Sculpture builds in Hull, Corsham, Haddenham (Bucks) and Sutton Courtenay (Oxon)
- Pieces in private collections in the U.S. and Europe.
- Private and organisational commissions including Kuretake UK.
- Matisse, and Schwitters.
- Moseley Art School, Birmingham (1969-75)
- Wolverhampton Polytechnic (1975-76)
- Bretton Hall College (University of Leeds) (1976-79)
A: 17 Water Street, Holmbridge, Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, HD92NY
T: (01484) 687316